Design Studio is a method that helps to harmonize team’s expectations of a design for future website or other service in a relatively short time span.
You will needpapers, post-its
People5 or more participants
Difficulty3 – the facilitation is highly demanding
- you want to design a new online service, e.g. website or catalogue interface
- you want to harmonize a number of prospective solutions proposed by individual team members
Do not use when...
- not having an experienced facilitator
- Build teams of 5 to 8 people. Let all the teams tackle the same design challenge.
- Design studio is based upon sketching of the designs and feedback on them.
- Set the number of iterations you want to go through. Before you start, set a time limit for sketching of the designs and feedback.
- First, the individual team members share the feedback with one another, then they repeat the procedure on the level of teams, who provide feedback to one another.
- Get inspired by each other. You can also see the gradually growing similarities between the proposals of individual teams.
- Choose the best design and do some further work with it.
Keep in mind that...
- the most important thing is not to underestimate planning and motivation of individual team members since the participation of all team members will also help you in the final realization of the chosen design
- start the sketching with a simple creative exercise (e.g. by drawing a toast or a figure)