How Might We
The questions of “How might we” (HMW) type can help you with brainstorming management. They define the opportunities and tasks that you are trying to solve.
You will needpost-its
Difficulty1 – be careful when having the same ideas in a team
- you want to introduce the design challenge to the whole team in a comprehensible way
Do not use when...
- you do not have enough data from the observation phase
- you have enough data, which are not analyzed well enough
- In a team, choose the 3 most interesting insights you noticed when collecting data.
- Think about how serious they are.
- Each team member will create his or her own proposal of a design challenge, which starts with “How might we...”.
- When creating the questions, pay attention not to make them too specific or too general.
- Consult the proposals together as a team and select the three most interesting ones.
- Then, you can use the questions as an input to the creative techniques, e.g. design workshop or design studio.
Keep in mind that...
- the whole team, as well as users, should participate when formulating the question
- you should have the question in mind during the whole design process as it will be useful in the testing phase
Find out more
- module on the Coursera server (Generating HMW Questions)