Personas are model users of your service you create based on the data of the actual users. It will help you to adapt the service you want to design for the intended target group.
You will needpersona template, data about users, illustrative photos
Time45 minutes per persona
Difficulty2 – depending on the degree of processing and a number of personas
- you need to identify typical users
- you are going to design a new service
- you want to share the information about users in the entire team
Do not use when...
- you do not have a sufficient amount of data about your users (try interviews first)
- Clear up the purpose of creating personas.
- Gather all the available data about your users - are they students, mothers on maternity leave, or someone else? What connects them and what are their needs?
- Create personas representing groups of typical users.
- Create a motto or set a goal of individual personas. This should summarize user’s relationship with the service.
- Give illustrative photo or picture as well as name to every persona.
- Focus on details - what the model user likes and what is specific for him or her - this can all be relevant for you to consider when designing a new service.
- Personas will help you to see the service through the lens of a specific type of its users. If you plan to make some changes in your service, always ask yourself what would your persona’s reaction be like.
Keep in mind that...
- the number of personas always depends on a specific context, therefore, do not try to set the number of personas before you get to know the environment
- it should be based on the actual data; you may create additional personas if you find significant differences in behavior or needs